Behind The Barrel
‘’If you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life’’
Born from a love of craft beer and tour guiding, we created Behind the Barrel as a way to share our passion of both industries. We try to emulate the value of the famous quote ‘if you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life’.
Working in tourism for the past 5 years and having been a tourists for much longer, naturally, we have experienced many unique beers and cocktails. From famous German beers to the cocktail scene in London. After every tour we liked to wind down with a beer (or 10) and soon discovered our passion for craft beer and the industry.
Having now settled in Lennox Head, the Northern Rivers seemed like the perfect area to pursue this passion and share it with others. The craft beer and spirit scene here has only been growing. With more craft breweries and distilleries opening, most of them in true Northern Rivers style – having a focus on local and natural ingredients and processes.
We currently visit a select handful of artisan breweries and distilleries that all have deep passion and integrity for what they do and for the industry overall.
- Stone & Wood Tour – born in beautiful Byron Bay and home of the famous pacific ale
- Seven Mile Brewery Tour – a family owned brewery with a simple vision to craft the best beer possible
- Wandana Brewery Tour – great beer with some quirky features with their brewing
- Common People Brewing Co – located in the heart of the Byron Hinterland, your new home away from home
- Earth Beer Company – holds a love for quality beer and the land they are lucky enough to brew it on
- Lord Byron Distillery – artisanal spirits produced on a family farm, from local farmers and even from you! (see their gin making glass)
- Cape Byron Distillery – part of the Brook family farm that’s known for the famous Brookies Gin and the delicious local muesli
- Husk Distillery – first generation, new world distillers striving to create rare and unusual spirits that reflect our beautiful environment